When Two Became FIVE: Finding Out There Were THREE!

Finding out I was pregnant was a moment I had been excited for since Jon and I got married. We always knew we wanted to start a family, the question was always when? After we bought our first house and Jon had settled into a career teaching we talked about starting a family. We had decided to wait a few years, you know, make sure the time is right. Little did we know it would only be a few months...


I found out I was pregnant on February 3rd, after taking 3 pregnancy tests (foreshadowing?). It was so surreal to me knowing there was a tiny human life beginning to form in my belly. I would just look down unable to comprehend the complexity of growing a brand new life. I could not wait for the first ultrasound, to hear our baby's heart beating, to have some sort of confirmation other than a little stick telling me I was in fact pregnant.


The day of our appointment I was overcome with anxiety, wondering if the baby would be okay, if there would actually be a baby,  I was ready for confirmation. The day finally arrived, I laid down on the table and the ultrasound tech starting waving her magic wand around. It felt like it was taking FOREVER. She then, slowly raised her hand to cover her mouth. My heart sank, something was very wrong. She reached over and placed her hand on my shoulder and said in a clearly nervous voice, "Now I don't want you to freak out." I was freaking out. "But there are more than one." Instantly I thought, I'm having twins!! Oh my gosh, this is crazy!! She proceeded to tell us that she was trying to figure out how many...She searched around and finally told us there were, three. I held my breath while she confirmed there was not a fourth, or fifth, at this point I felt anything was possible. Jon and I just looked at each other and all we could do was laugh. I was shaking so hard I wasn’t sure if I could stand, but I managed not to swear, or cry (at this point in anyway). We listened to all three of our babies strong heart beats, got our six printouts and left feeling dazed, confused, and pretty excited. All of a sudden my very first pregnancy which I was already nervous for was labeled high risk. All of a sudden I was faced with the possibility of one or more of our babies not living, and a guarantee that they would be born early and spend time in intensive care. I faced bedrest, a high risk of preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and preterm labor. People always ask how long it took to sink in, and the truth is it never has, it just became more and more normal, I still have moments when I look at all three and I just whisper, “triplets?”.

I will never forget the day we found out we were having three. The day my world was turned upside down. Hearing those three little hearts beating was so terrifying, but somehow felt right. We had no idea what lay ahead or how we would manage to take care of three babies. This was the first day of the rest of our lives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hospital Bag For A Triplet C-Section

My Triplet C-Section

Feeding Triplets: Let's Get Real About Breastfeeding